Sunday, January 4, 2009

Walking with God

I finished reading The Shack recently and did not like it for various reasons; however, the overall message of the book was good. Since reading it there are a few things that have stuck with me -- one being that God is all about relationship.

So often, I think we get caught up in the "rules". Don't drink, don't smoke, go to church, be a good person, don't screw up, don't say bad words, don't have pre- or extra-marital sex, dress modestly, and on and on. I think most of you would agree with me that all of those things are very good things to do/ not do, but I think you would also agree with me when I say that sometimes in trying to keep the "rules", we lose sight of what God is all about -- relationship.

The book brought out the point that without the Holy Spirit's work in our lives, we are powerless when it comes to doing all the right things. Another point that the book brought up is that the law was intended to show us our need for help and that there is no possible way that we could do all of that on our own.

This morning, I went over to BibleGateway to check out the verse of the day and it said, "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8). I love this verse so much. In the book, Mack asked what it was that Papa (God) wanted him to do when he went back to his normal life and what was expected of him. I think this verse answers that question best. God wants us to walk with Him and let Him take care of making us into what He wants us to be.

No comments: