Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Picture Paints a Thousand Words

One Minute Writer Prompt: What one moment in your past do you wish was immortalized in a photograph?

When I look back on my past and the things that I will remember most, there are a few times that stand out for me. One is cutting the grass with Papa or reading on the couch with him. He had a huge yard and he'd let me ride on the lawnmower with him whenever he cut the grass. We read so many books on the couch too -- Old Mother Hubbard, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, that book about the little girl who's dog/cat had puppies/ kittens and she took them around in her wagon to get rid of them and ended up trading them for other animals.

And there are other moments I'll never forget -- Stephen and I holding each other and crying everytime he left to go back to Southern, Andrea and I wearing our "beer goggles" around Wal-mart, walking down the sidewalk at Pisgah in the brief moments before sunrise and thinking that there could never be a more peaceful time of day...

But there is one moment that will forever last in my memory and it was captured in a photograph. It was sitting in the dressing room with my best friend before her wedding and laughing and whispering and talking together. I guess it was then that I really began to understand that this friendship is not just another college friendship -- it's forever. Thank you Jeremy Hess Photography for capturing that important moment in my life.

1 comment:

Laura Jayne said...

What beuatiful moments, and how wonderful that you do have that one with your friend. That is priceless.