Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I saw God today

Sometimes I try to look for God in little things throughout my day. As I was writing my last post (And this is love...), I had a cat (a FAT cat) laying across my arms pinning them down as I was typing on my laptop. She is purring loudly. I pushed her away about 5 times before realizing that all my efforts were in vain. Nothing I did would stop her from trying to get up in the chair as close to me as she could possibly be. I threw her out of the chair once. I put my foot under her, as she rubbed up against my legs and pleaded with me to let her up, and gently moved her a few feet away from me. So many times, I've had to send her out of my room, shut the door, and tell her no. And yet, she keeps coming back. You can rough her up and make her mad and instead of taking it out on you, she'll take it out on Sarah (the other cat). And three seconds later, she'll be back begging for more. If I'm in the kitchen cooking, she's there saying, "Meow. Meow. Meow." Which is translated, "I'm fat. Feed me and make me fatter." Or "Talk back to me in meows so I'll answer you."

So, as my arms were pinned down under her weight, I realized that God is a lot like Zoe. No matter how many times I shove Him away, He's still RIGHT THERE asking me to let Him back in. No matter how many times I shut the door of my heart to Him, he still stands at the door knocking. When I'm distracted by the things of this world, He's there, begging me to pay attention to Him. And when I talk to Him, he answers.

Zoe, you are welcome to get off of my arms any time so I can get the cat hair off of me. God, you're welcome to stay with me today.

No comments: