Friday, August 22, 2008

Even though...

The other day, I read Isaiah 45 and this verse really stood out to me:
4 Cyrus, I am sending for you by name.
I am doing it for the good of the family of Jacob.
They are my servants.
I am doing it for Israel.
They are my chosen people.
You do not know anything about me.
But I am giving you a title of honor.

I don't know, there was just something that spoke to me -- that even though Cyrus didn't know God, God had a plan for him and gave him a title of honor and apparently used him to accomplish His purpose. At the time, I didn't know what to say about it. I just thought it was really neat. God might be using me even though I sometimes feel like i don't know anything about Him.

Then tonight, I read Romans 8

26 In the same way, the Holy Spirit helps us when we are weak. We don't know what we should pray for. But the Spirit himself prays for us. He prays with groans too deep for words. 27 God, who looks into our hearts, knows the mind of the Spirit. And the Spirit prays for God's people just as God wants him to pray. 28 We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him. He appointed them to be saved in keeping with his purpose.

29 God planned that those he had chosen would become like his Son. In that way, Christ will be the first and most honored among many brothers. 30 And those God has planned for, he has also appointed to be saved. Those he has appointed, he has made right with himself. To those he has made right with himself, he has given his glory.

31 What should we say then? Since God is on our side, who can be against us?


The two passages seem related to me. God, who at times I do not know at all, has a plan for me. Because I do not know Him at times and can't think of what to say to Him in prayer, the Holy Spirit speaks to God on my behalf. God works out all things to the good of those who love Him. He has planned for me to become like Jesus because he chose me. God is on my side -- even when I'm not on His.

How much more then, should I desire to be on His?

No comments: