Friday, April 18, 2014

Welcome!

Hey y'all!

I have a few new blog followers (thank you!) so I thought that I would introduce myself and tell y'all a few things.

My name is Amber and I'm a dental hygienist for a small start-up practice in Chattanooga, TN. I recently moved here (to the Chattanooga area) after living in the Carolinas (Spartanburg, SC; Gastonia, NC; Statesville, NC) for almost 13 years. Prior to that, I lived in Florida (Pensacola and Jacksonville), Alabama (middle of nowhere), and here (as a child). I have always lived in the southeast, but have moved quite a bit. I hope to be here for a good, long time!

Since you are most likely here because you are a fellow bibliophile, I thought I would list a few of my favorite books and/ or authors:

  • To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. This is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite novel of all time.
  • The Bible. This should really be at the top of the list. I haven't read it all the way through, but I can quote it better than any other book I own! :) And it's definitely the book that has impacted my life the most and that has something new for me each and every time I read it.
  • Conflict of the Ages series by Ellen G. White; specifically, my favorites are Patriarchs and Prophets and Desire of Ages. The Desire of Ages is absolutely one of the best books on the life of Christ and follows right along with the gospels. It is my one of my favorites because it allows me to see Jesus in all his majesty and humanity and how he relates personally to me. Jesus, God the Son/ Son of God... and Jesus, son of man. Patriarchs and Prophets takes you on a journey through the Old Testament from Creation through the Exodus, the Israelites wilderness wanderings and journey to the Promised land, and continues on through the life and reign and death of King David. It is my favorite book to read to see the omnipotence and mercy of God as He works out His plans in the lives of those He loves despite our shortcomings and sinfulness. He works with us and for us to fulfill the plans that he has to bring us "hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11). These books, and others, are available for free (to read from your computer) at the White Estate.
  • James Patterson -- Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, the Alex Cross books, and many of his others.
  • Sue Grafton
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn by Lori Benton. This is a new release! Be sure to check out my review, read the first chapter, and purchase the book for yourself.
  • A Beauty so Rare by Tamera Alexander. You can read my review as well as additional (very interesting) information regarding the photoshoot for the cover, recipes from the book, read a couple of chapters, etc. Purchase the book for yourself!
  • A Broken Kind of Beautiful by Katie Ganshert. I loved this book! It's also a new release. You can read my review and purchase it for yourself. Try before you buy with this sneak peek!
I obviously love many other books: Goodnight Moon, Knuffle Bunny, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Old Mother Hubbard, etc., but since I don't have children, I'm not sure they count. ;) I do enjoy a lot of other books. The books listed above that are new releases are current favorites that are fresh on my mind.

I actually do have interests beyond just reading and cleaning teeth. While I love to read, my absolute favorite thing to do in the whole entire world is to cook. I love love love love looooove cooking. I actually have a cooking blog, but I haven't updated it recently because I'm one of those cooks who doesn't measure. So if there is a recipe that I plan to post to the blog, I have to pay attention to what I add and how much. Then, there is the minor detail of the fact that while I can cook delicious food and write decently (when I feel inspired/ rarely) and play piano and decorate and do other creative things, I am not a photographer. Food blogs need pictures of the food and those pictures should make the food look appetizing or else you're not likely to make it!! When I get to Heaven, I will be a good photographer.

Thanks for following my blog! Hope you find some books you will want to read!

Amber

No comments: