Monday, February 24, 2014

Somewhere to Belong, by Judith Miller

--> (Daughters of Amana, book 1)

Summary from the publisher

Johanna Ilg has lived her entire life in Main Amana, one of the seven villages inhabited by devout Christians who believe in cooperative living, a simple lifestyle, and faithful service to God. Although she's always longed to see the outside world, Johanna believes her future is rooted in the community. But when she learns a troubling secret, the world she thought she knew is shattered and she is forced to make difficult choices about a new life and the man she left behind.

Berta Schumacher has lived a privileged life in Chicago, and when her parents decide they want a simpler life in Amana, Iowa, she resists. Under the strictures of the Amana villages, Berta's rebellion reaches new heights. Will her heart ever be content among the plain people of Amana?

My Review

I enjoyed this book. I feel like it was well-written. There are several types of writing styles; some authors possess a straight-forward writing style that allows quickly read a book and enjoy its plot and characters, while others are truly wordsmiths who write phrases so beautiful that you have to stop and linger over them as one would a rose on a summer day. (See what I did there?)

Judith Miller writes in a straight-forward manner that tells the story and she tells it well. Her characters come alive by the details she shares. She has the ability make you know the characters and cause them to get under your skin and annoy you or make you sympathize with them. Berta annoyed me but at the same time I pitied her and wanted to offer her guidance. I sympathized with Johanna as she tried to offer guidance to Berta and as she dealt with her own life falling apart.

This book surprised me. I suppose I didn’t read the back cover until after I read the book because I had no idea that Johanna was going to learn a troubling secret and the secret she did learn took me by surprise. I love when a book isn’t predictable!!

This was a wonderful book and it was the first book I read about the Amana colonies. (I believe there are two Amana Colony series.) I was very excited to pick up another Judith Miller book. I have thoroughly enjoyed all that I have read by her.

I highly recommend this book.

I am under no obligation to write a review on this book.

No comments: