Friday, December 4, 2009

I Will Move Ahead Bold and Confident

Seventeen and a half years ago I embarked on a journey having no idea where it would take me. Dressed in a plaid jumper with my hair pulled back as tightly as Mama could get it, I walked into the classroom for the first time as a student. In kindergarten, I wanted to be a teacher. I probably also wanted to be a teacher in first grade, second, third, forth, and fifth as well. By the time sixth grade rolled around, I learned that there were careers other than teaching and nursing and started to dream a little. The years went on and options were explored and doors were opened. A college major was declared and a college major was changed.

Today, I embarked on a journey having no idea where it will take me. Dressed in navy and ceil blue scrubs with my hair thrown up in a bun as messy as I could get it, I walked out of the classroom as a college graduate. Four years ago I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. Two years ago I wanted to be a dental hygienist. One and a half years ago, I wanted to be a dentist. One year ago, I wanted to be a dental hygiene instructor. In the past year, I have wanted to be a dental hygienist, dental hygiene instructor, dental assistant, dentist, dental product rep, advanced dental hygiene practitioner, and currently a dental hygienist.

Just as I left for my first day of school seventeen and a half years ago, today I step out into the world not knowing where this journey will take me, but with tenacity and trust in God I will take each day as it comes and the lessons it brings. I will walk courageously, meeting each challenge head-on. When I feel like all is for naught, I will look at my five year old self and remember that on that fall day, I did not know what I was to become, only what I was -- a student. My purpose then, as it is now, was to do my best, learn, and to believe that God has a plan for my life.

I am a college graduate. I am a student.

1 comment:

Ronel said...

In 2003 I began college to get a paralegal degree so I could become a paralegal and eventually go to law school. I graduated in 2005 and began going to school to get a business degree to go to law school. Two years ago I began thinking about teaching and getting my credential. Now today four short months before graduating with my business degree I have realized I want to get into ministry and pursue a masters degree in divinity. I think learning is a process and you never really know what you want to do until you are at the "right" stage or place in life. I pray God leads you down His path and I pray you enjoy the journey because it is tough, exciting, rewarding and fun.
Blessings!!!