Sunday, February 8, 2009

In Which the Red Sea Parts

The Israelites escaped Egypt with Moses as their leader, but God as their guide. God told Pharaoh, "Let My people go." After a bit (ok, a lot) of persuasion, he finally did. So, guided by a pillar of fire/ cloud, the Israelites were led toward the Red Sea. Pharaoh must have been hit in the head by a few too many frogs or perhaps got some parasite that decided to eat away at his brain from drinking the bloody water, because he obviously was having some issues with his memory when he had the bright idea to pursue the Israelites. I mean, really -- what was this guy thinking?

So, anyway Pharaoh and his chariots and his posse think the Israelites are wandering aimlessly around and get this bright idea to pursue and overtake them. The Israelites reach the Red Sea and realize that they're stuck between the sea and the mountain and have no where to go.

Clearly, the Israelites had some memory issues too because they started whining to Moses, "You brought us out here in the middle of nowhere to die!! We could have just stayed in Egypt slaved away!" Whine, whine, whine.

Moses somehow managed to avoid the Brain Eating Parasite, because he said, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still" (Exodus 14:13, 14).

So, God throws up a wall of darkness and the Egyptians can't see where to go and they lose sight of the Israelites (who are left in the light). Then, God tells Moses to stretch his hand out over the sea and it will part.

The Whiners walk through the sea and make it safely through before the Egyptians catch up to them. The Egyptians start walking through and the waters come crashing down on top of their heads and they all drown.

I believe with all my heart that God has led me to dentistry. He has opened so many doors for me and has made it abundantly clear that this is where he wants me to be. Just like the Israelites, I am surrounded on all sides by reasons that I can't do it. In front of me is the Red Sea of Board Exams. The other side is the Mountain of Projects that I can't climb. And in hot pursuit are the Army of Tests that are determined to kill me. I don't know how I will cross the sea. I don't know how I'll climb the mountain. I don't know how I'll defend myself against the army. But I know that God has called me to dentistry and I keep reminding myself of the saying, "If God leads you to it, He'll lead you through it."

I need only to be still. The Lord will fight for me.

I'm not my own, I've been carried by you all my life.
Everything rides on hope now.
Everything rides on faith somehow.

Addison Road

No comments: