Sunday, January 28, 2007

Surrender

 I have a bad habit of settling for less than what I want and less than what I'm worth.  Maybe because I do not realize my worth.  I have been bought at a price though -- a very high price and my life was paid for by the precious and perfect life of Jesus.  That means I am worth everything and I deserve the very best.  God has the very best in store for me.  When I settle, I am showing Him that I do not trust Him to be God.

Tyler, the guy I have been seeing, is a really great guy.  He treats me really well and is pretty good to me.  He's smart, funny, and generally just a great person to be around.  But he's not what I want.   Ben was really abusive and I've been trying to determine if I'm moving slowly with Tyler or backing off because I'm scared and running or if it's because he's not right for me.  And over the last couple of weeks, a voice in my head, or maybe my heart has spoken the same words to me repeatedly.  "You are settling."  And I am.  Because you know what?  I want a man who is going to be Adventist.  I want a man who is going to serve beside me in ministry.  I want a man who is going to share in my beliefs and my passions.  I want a man who will go to church with me, who will respect my beliefs and my values and who will love me enough to see my past for what it is, and to see me for who I am now.  I want a man who will love me enough to understand, truly understand, that I need space and time.  I want a man who will love me enough to woo me gently and to be patient.

Yesterday, I was watching a friend of mine.  I don't know much about her past or what has shaped her, but I know that she has been scared of a relationship.  Time and time again, I have observed as she runs from relationships because of fear.  And I've seen her grow and give some of that to Jesus and put it in His hands.  She has been seeing a man for a few months.  He is a godly man who appears to be very much in love with her.  I was watching them yesterday and thinking that I want a man who will be to me what he is to her.  He has been patient.  He has gently wooed her and patiently loved her, allowing her to take the time she needs and move at the pace that her fragile heart requires.  Recently she decided that she was ready to take the relationship one step further and that it was time for them to "come out".  With his love, and her Heavenly Father's love, she is gaining courage and letting go of some of her fears.  Yesterday, as I observed them sitting on my couch, I heard that same voice in my head saying, "Amber, will you let me be God?"

And you know, settling isn't just about relationships.  So often we settle for sin and imperfection because we don't believe that we are worth any more than that.  But you have been bought with the blood of Jesus.  You are worth everything and you deserve the very best that He has for you.  Let God, be God.  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

I surrender myself to you.  My fears, my wants, my needs. I recognize that if I am worth the blood of Jesus, I am worth the very best in this life. I'm sorry for sinning against you in my distrust. You have the very best in store for me. Be God.

3 comments:

joy said...

Let God be God.

Just like He is preparing that special man for you, so is He preparing you for that special man. Every decision you make with His guidance, everytime you lay it all at His feet and allow Him to lead You, is preparing your heart to accept the wonderful gift He has in store for you. That gift may be packaged differently than what you would have chosen for yourself - but remember that His main concern is your heart. I'm glad you're not settling - you are worth so much...

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amber. Your post moved me to tears. Your post succinctly describes what I HAVE been looking for and wanting. The last guy I seriously dated was not a Christian, and although that wasn't the reason we broke up, looking back it scares me that it could have gotten serious between us, and where would the spiritual support have been? NOWHERE!

For 2007 I have claimed Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Praise God that you have seen the Father glorified in our relationship. We both continue to pray that God is THE center, the glue, in our relationship. It'll never last any other way.

Let God be GOD! Do not settle! Let GOD romance you through your dating relationships. HE truly treasures YOU as HIS cherished bride! Let HIM answer your question, "Am I lovely?" Only He can!!!!

Thanks for the "shout-out" :)

Anonymous said...

Amber,

I agree whole-heartedly with the other two commenters. You are a very special "ruby" that will require a very special man. Be patient with God and don't settle for less than what He has in store for you. Be sure your relationship with God is on track, else other relationships will suffer or worse, lead you away from Him who loves you more than anyone else can. Your worth is greater than the heartaches you've experienced. But praise God, because he wants the very best for you (and each of us). Trust me, I now know from experience that God cares about the little things in our lives....it just takes some of us longer to realize that than others. You have been, and continue to be in my prayers.......